Pages

Sunday, March 10, 2013

Trying new things What's YUCA?

No one else is going to make the choice for you to make a difference in your life. Whether its your attitude, health, finances, love etc. Only you can make the choice to make that first step. I have devoted the last few months of my life to living a healthier life. So to begin I'd like to start sharing some of my recipes. What works for me may not work for you but I hope that it will inspire you to try something new.

Let's start with Yuca. Remember, that with any new food you try always find out the benefits of that new vegetable or fruit. Learn and carry Super Foods in your house, they are essential to your daily diet. If you don't like to try new foods, be open minded, give it a try. We always tell the girls that they have to at least try it before they say NO.

Yuca, or also know as Root, is a gluten free vegetable. Who would have know, I've been eating Yuca since I was a kid. If you can find Yuca leaves, which I haven't see in the US, it's good source of dietary proteins and vitamin K. Vitamin-K has a potential role in bone mass building by promoting osteotrophic activity in the bones. It also has established role in the treatment of Alzheimer's disease patients by limiting neuronal damage in the brain.

It also has a moderate source of some of the valuable B-complex group of vitamins such as folates, thiamin, pyridoxine(vitamin B-6), riboflavin, and pantothenic acid.

How do you cook it. Two methods are, one in soup and one is fried. Here is what I do.

How to prep:
Take a medium size root, peel the dark brown bark off the root. It's much easier to cut the root in 2 inch sections and then peel each on individually. Put the root in a pot, cover with water, add some garlic and salt. Let it boil and when yuca is tender it is ready. The root is cooked when it's not a hard white color, it should me soft and tender.

Drain your water, cut the root pieces in half and then into smaller pieces. Here's the next step, you can either pan fry it like french fries using vegetable oil OR you can season with salt, pepper and olive oil and then stick in the over to roast. Either way it taste AMAZING.

Last but not least you can always throw in the raw root, but up into smaller pieces and toss straight into a soup like you would a potato.

Happy Eating!

2 comments:

  1. Maritza, thank you for stopping by my blog, Sweet Blessings and thank you for your sweet support! God bless you!

    I have never heard of yuca. I will have to try it! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for visiting Jenifer.

    To everyone else, yuca can also be boiled. I missed that one. You can boil in water with garlic, salt and some white onions for flavor. then each it like a boiled potatoe.

    ReplyDelete