Pages

Saturday, May 15, 2010

Is it Ignorance?

Wikipedia says that Ignorance is where someone or something is uninformed. This should not be confused with being unintelligent, as one's level of intelligence and level of education or general awareness are not the same.

I use the word ignorance sometimes and it never dawned on me how many people really don't know what it means or people are offended because they feel its a strong word. I never used the word to reflect the lack of intelligence or education but merely that in the heat of the moment, ignorance is the lack of awareness of your surroundings. It's even the lack of awareness of what you say or do to hurt others.

If you know me I'm passionate about family and friendship. I didn't have the most conventional life growing up, I was sheltered from a lot of family members in my life. My parents never made the effort to really form a bond with others for reasons unknown to me, even to today.

The one thing I decided long ago was that I would never shelter my children from being surrounded from family members. I vowed that we wouldn't be ignorant as my parents were when they didn't offer to open the door to a last minute visitor from family. That my kids wouldn't see their parents be ignorant when someone asked to come over and just hang out. Or just be ignorant when it came to their own selfish reasons.

In life we cannot be ignorant. We have to be aware of our surroundings and always know what we can do to live right by ourselves and those that look up to us. So I challenge you to take the blinders off, be open minded, be FLEXIBLE, be aware, be positive, be an example, be aware of your surroundings and rid Ignorance from your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment